Sunday, February 10, 2008

Soundtracks

It is my great pleasure to direct this blog's notice to the new 1 Hour of Music in 20 Minutes: Soundtracks which has gone up on abc dig

This one has been brewing for a while, and already it seems I might have to produce a sequel because there is just so much great music that I’ve got from films and this podcast is only about fifteen songs long.

I made myself a mix cd of all these songs while this was being prepared and it struck me repeatedly just how much of this playlist is real honest-to-god favourites. Like Billie Holiday! This is literally where I first heard Pennies From Heaven.

One thing has been bothering me though, I assumed that because the song Via Con Me was used in French Kiss that Paolo Conte was French but then, listening more closely to the song’s lyrics it gradually dawned on me… oh dear, I think this bloke is Italian, and he in fact is, so – my apologies for that error. The way it’s used in the film makes it sound so very French!

Anyway, I reckon it’s a pretty glorious playlist, (especially the Deb Talan song – what a jewel that is!) and I hope you like it!

Song/by/from the film
Stuck In The Middle With You/Stealers Wheel/Reservoir Dogs
Need You Around/Smoking Popes/Clueless
To You I Bestow/Mundy/Romeo + Juliet
Kissing You (Love Theme From Romeo + Juliet)/Des'ree/Romeo + Juliet
I've Been Waiting/Sixpence None The Richer/View From the Top
Toxic Girl/Kings of Convenience/Shallow Hal
Political Science/Randy Newman/Blast From the Past
Pennies From Heaven/Billie Holiday/Corinna Corinna
Peace Piece/Bill Evans/Corinna Corinna
The Lark Ascending/Ralph Vaughan Williams/The Year My Voice Broke
With a Girl Like You/The Troggs/The Year My Voice Broke
What Makes The Sunset/Frank Sinatra/Anchors Aweigh
Via Con Me/Paolo Conte/French Kiss
Forgiven/Deb Talan/Lovely and Amazing
Where Is My Mind?/Pixies/Fight Club

yours in music,

~ hermione

p.s. there is a lovely film which i saw the other day which has excellent original music written especially for it by dishy young Norwegian singer/songwriter Sondra Lerche - the film is Dan In Real Life directed by my dear Peter Hedges (Pieces of April, What's Eating Gilbert Grape? - novel and screenplay). It's lovely music and a lovely film :)
p.p.s. and here's an interview with Sondra Lerche about making music for the film from Cinematical, if you're interested

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great ending to Soundtracks. The pixies at the end of Fightclub really do sound great. It makes you stay watching the film, right to the end.

Did I tell you the story about when I went to see The Doors film back in the 90s? (This is sort of soundtrack related). Well, I went along with my mate Paul, who was a bit of Doors fan, but was a huge fan of the Velvet Underground (and Frank Sidebottom!).

At this point I'd not heard of either....

Watched the film, didn't think much of it, and didn't really like the music. Not until this fantastic track came on in a scene that took place at a party. I tapped Paul on the shoulder, said.. "at last, a good song".

The party was of course at The Factory, the track was Velvet Underground's Heroine!!!

It amuses me , I left that film wanting to hear more Velvet stuff , and shunning The Doors !!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger robert said...

Hermione I like your show and although I still find cutting 1 hour up into 20 mins odd, I'm getting used to it.

Hello from an old acquaintance.

Robert Lawton
ex Three D FM (Four Course Breakfast)
now of Brasilia, Brazil
rglawton@hotmail.com

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home